Our aim is for Umega Lettings to be one of the best small businesses to work for in the world. It’s an exciting and ambitious goal but we know we can do it. By working towards this we make life better for our tenants and landlords because when our team love what they do, our customers feel the benefits and our business thrives. Simple.
We’re always looking for ways to improve the work lives of our team. Like any business, full-time employees spend more waking hours each week with their colleagues than with their families so it’s important we enjoy that time.
The bigger stuff – here are some of the things we’re currently doing;
- Staff property fund – we set aside 20% of our profits to invest in Edinburgh buy-to-let property. Our employees invest, manage and benefit financially from the ownership of these properties.
- Investors in People – We are Investors In People Silver accredited and put a strong emphasis on training and development. We’re the only private letting business in the country to reach this level.
- Our special culture – We’re a values-led business meaning our values are central to everything we do and every decision we take.
- Recognition – We make a big deal about recognising effort and successes.
The Little things – little things we do to help make Umega Lettings a great place to work;
- Vitality healthcare – Each of our team benefits from private healthcare via Vitality. Alongside the healthcare, Vitality offers the team a load of rewards for healthy living including; free coffees, free cinema tickets and other discounts. Vitality has worked well for us; we’ve got a Monday night running club and a third of our team are running the Edinburgh half marathon
- Fruit – Edinburgh Community Food delivers a weekly crate of fruit to our office (you’d be amazed at how many bananas we get through)
- Breakfast on a Friday – breakfast rolls all round on a Friday morning. The variety of roll combinations……doubles, triples………anyone for a Bacon-Haggis-Egg-hash brown quadruple…… even tastier than it sounds!
- Culture club – Our Culture Club make sure we have plenty social occasions in the diary to help us ‘relax’ together outside of the office. We have 4 biggies during the year, one for each of the seasons, and a number of other more impromptu nights out.
- Celebrate anniversaries – we make sure we celebrate everyone’s Umeganniversary at our monthly company meetings. It’s a big deal when our team have been with us for 1, 2, 3, 8 years so we make sure we celebrate each and every one of them, increase their annual leave and thank the team for their contribution towards building an amazing company we’re super proud of
- Birthdays off – no one should have to work on their birthday. That’s why the Umega team get an extra days holiday to take on their birthday so they can go wild celebrating or enjoy a well-deserved rest!
These are just some of things we do at Umega to make our business a great place to work. We’ve got more work to do over the next few years but we are on our way to becoming one of the best small businesses to work for in the world!