Please send us a STAND OUT cover letter along with your CV detailing what you can bring to this role in our Compliance and Maintenance Support team, and why we’d be mad not to hire you (applications without covering letters will not be considered).
Over the last 15 years, we’ve become one of the biggest agencies in Scotland and one of the top rated in the UK. To top it off, Umega are now proud to be listed in Best Companies’ top 75 small companies to work for in the UK!
We’re not your average property business. We do things differently; we work hard, but we have fun while we’re doing it. We act with integrity, we acknowledge our mistakes, we’re not afraid to try new things and we put our customers at the heart of all we do. If you can get behind our ethos of Homes not Housing, People not Property, and truly embody this in all you do then you’re going to love it here.
We are looking for a hard-working and driven individual to join our Compliance and Maintenance Support team. This role is an integral part of our busy, growing letting business and there is plenty of room for growth and development as we work to continually improve as a business, and as individuals. You’ll embody the Umega values and use your passion for people to help us create a world class service as we deal with people and their homes.
Our Compliance & Maintenance Support Team is fast-paced, so alongside fantastic prioritization skills, you’ll need to have exceptional attention-to-detail, be a very clear communicator and thrive on managing a busy workload. The focus of this team is to ensure the timely instruction of all safety certificates, including HMO license applications and renewals as well as provide maintenance administration support to our in-house maintenance technicians.
You’ll be focussed primarily on the compliance element of the job and will assume the role of HMO ambassador in which you will be the ‘point person’ on HMO applications and renewals. You will be required to liaise with landlords, contractors, our team of Relationship Managers and external parties such as Edinburgh City Council on a regular basis to to understand, advise & explain any works or certificates, coordinate property access and ensure a swift response time, you will also make certain all jobs are invoiced promptly, recorded accurately and signed-off as complete.
You’ll need to be willing to build out your knowledge base quickly in order to handle tricky technical questions when called upon – we will support you with this, but the drive to learn has to come from you! We’re looking for someone who takes a meticulous and precise approach to all tasks – no stone can be left unturned when it comes to compliance!
Our team work in a hybrid setup with some office working, but predominantly working from home. In this role we can offer a great deal of flexibility in terms of working pattern and office time to best suit your needs and preferences. Talk to us to find out more!
Although the responsibilities for the role will be varied and wide-ranging, we see that these fit into four key areas:
An amazing representative for all things Umega
A huge part of our culture at Umega is putting people at the heart of all we do. Everyone here plays a significant role in making sure that the company’s character is reflected in each interaction we have, whether this is with customers, contractors, or each other. We know that this takes enthusiasm, dedication and great skill, but we expect that a passion for people is something that each and every employee should hold dear, so you should embody this in your role and your time with Umega.
A power-house of knowledge
You should be ready to deal with any query or situation that comes your way, and that means being fully prepared with a loaded backpack of knowledge and understanding so you can spring into action and resolve any issue seamlessly, giving clarity and helping others understand what needs to happen, and why. You’ll be liaising and negotiating with a variety of people every day, so the stronger your knowledge and understanding, the better and faster the resolution will be.
Communication skills for days
You will be communicating constantly with a wide variety of Umega customers, collaborators and colleagues, relaying information back and forth between different people, so crystal-clear and confident communication is paramount.
Meticulous and methodical approach
As you’ll be reviewing and instructing maintenance reports and legal certificates for our properties, you’ll need to have a keen eye for detail, and understand what questions to ask in order to give clear and concise information to all parties. You’ll also need to take a measured approach to your busy workload, understanding how to manage and prioritise your time effectively both as an individual and as a contributor to the team dynamic.
Although this list is not exhaustive, you can expect your days to be filled with a variety of the following tasks and responsibilities:
- Champion & role model our Umega culture and values in all interactions by expertly managing maintenance & compliance instructions that come through our system. You will be speaking with Landlords, Tenants and Contractors on a daily basis so it’s vital you do this in the Umega spirit.
- Ability to be a great all-rounder, answering a wide variety of questions and enquiries via email, telephone, or through our software. If you don’t know the answer right away, you’ll be ready to find out.
- Responsible, along with the rest of the team, for timely, helpful and appropriate responses to all maintenance related issues and legal certificates.
- Support our Relationship Managers with solid communication and advice regarding maintenance relating to their properties.
- Ensure all invoicing is completed quickly and efficiently, and jobs are finalised and closed within a reasonable time-frame.
- Responsible, along with the rest of the team, for timely first time and renewal applications for HMO certificates and all requisite compliance certificates
- Some relevant experience in an office environment or administrative role would be desirable, although not essential
- Experience in the fields of property compliance & maintenance is preferable
- To be confident and comfortable thinking on your feet, multitasking and prioritizing your workload
- A naturally warm, friendly and personable nature across all forms of communication
- A self-starter approach with an enthusiasm for “getting stuck-in” and learning as you go
- To take real pride in all aspects of your role – the big things and the little things all matter!
Who we are:
Umega is a forward-thinking and fast-growing company, but even as we grow, our team continues to work together like one big family. This role involves being an important part of our busy and exciting letting and estate agency business. We hold high standards and work in a way that means our clients love dealing with us. We provide a great workplace and you’ll love coming to work every day. You’ll be valued, trusted, empowered and given the space to make mistakes, learn and grow. We want you to be with us for years, but understand that this won’t be forever. We’re dedicated to providing the support you need, so that when the time comes for you to leave Umega, you do so with a better understanding of what you want from life. We have an amazing, talented, caring team and terrific company culture that drives us forward and we’d love for you to be part of it.
Be part of a vibrant, growing company of 50 great people
- A beautiful office space in Quartermile
- Casual Dress
- Company Pension
- Employee Discounts
- Monday – Friday Schedule (with flexibility)
- Cycle to work
- Private Medical Insurance
- Sick Pay
- Tea, coffee fruit and regular treats
- Great social life (when restrictions allow!)
Before you send us your application, take a look at our blog detailing some things you’ll want to know before applying to work at Umega.
Salary – £21,000 – £23,000 per year
Start date – As soon as you are available – we can be flexible and we’ll wait for the right person.
How to apply – Apply by sending your CV and a stand-out cover letter which describes exactly why you are the best person for this job and why we’d be mad not to hire you! Applications should be addressed to Simon Douglas and sent to [email protected]