Please send us a STAND OUT cover letter with your application, detailing what you can bring to this role in Team Umega, and why we’d be mad not to hire you! (Applications without covering letters will not be considered).
We are looking for a hard-working, diligent and driven individual to join our assiduous Compliance Team. With responsibility for ensuring all properties under our management are fully compliant, the Compliance Team are an integral part of our dedicated customer care teams who are directly responsible for looking after people and their homes with pride. Read on for more information about this fantastic opportunity to join our stellar team at Edinburgh’s most exciting letting agent!
In 2023 (and beyond), we’ve got ambitious plans for our well-established and still growing business. We have a phenomenal team, an incredible culture and high standards, and we’re looking for more talented and motivated people-focused-people to join our award-winning team.
Over the last 15 years, we’ve become one of the biggest letting agencies in Scotland and one of the top rated in the UK. We’re not your average property business. We do things differently; we work hard, but we have fun while we’re doing it. We’re bold and playful but we always act with integrity and acknowledge our mistakes. We’re ambitious and unafraid – we try new things, we innovate, and whatever the outcomes we’ll enjoy the learning journey and make the most of the ride. We also put people at the heart of all we do; that goes for our customers and our team. Being knowledgeable, empathetic, and super-responsive to the needs of our customers is the basis for our customer relationships, which then strengthen through building trust by acting with care and integrity and honoring our commitments at every turn. If you can get behind our ethos of Homes not Housing, People not Property, and truly embody this in everything you do then you’re going to love it here.
Our Compliance Team is a busy group who deal with the detail-orientated world of property compliance. Alongside top-rate prioritization skills, you’ll need to have exceptional attention-to-detail, be a very clear communicator and thrive on managing a busy workload. This team is fully responsible for the compliance of the 1600+ properties in our care – this means managing the timely instruction of all required safety certificates, including HMO license applications and renewals.
You will be required to liaise with landlords and tenants, contractors, and a variety of teams across the business on a regular basis – explaining any issues with certificates, advising on recommended works, coordinating property access and ensuring a swift turnaround time on all instructed work. You will also make certain all jobs are invoiced promptly, recorded accurately and signed-off as complete. You’ll need to be willing to build out your knowledge base quickly in order to handle tricky technical questions when called upon – we will support you with this, but the drive to learn has to come from you! We’re looking for someone who takes a meticulous and precise approach to all tasks – no stone can be left unturned when it comes to compliance!
Although the responsibilities for the role will be varied and wide-ranging, we see that these fit into four key areas:
PEOPLE FOCUSED APPROACH: A huge part of our culture at Umega is putting people at the heart of all we do. Everyone here plays a significant role in making sure that the company’s character is reflected in each interaction we have, whether this is with customers, contractors, or each other. We know that this takes enthusiasm, dedication and great skill, but we expect that a passion for people is something that each and every employee should embody in every role across our company.
A POWERHOUSE OF KNOWLEDGE: You should be ready to deal with any query or situation that comes your way, and that means being fully prepared with a loaded backpack of knowledge and understanding so you can spring into action and resolve any issue seamlessly. As you’ll be giving clarity and helping others understand what needs to happen, and why, as well as liaising and negotiating with a variety of people every day, the stronger your knowledge and understanding, the better and faster the resolution will be.
COMMUNICATION SKILLS FOR DAYS: You will be communicating constantly with a wide variety of Umega customers, collaborators and colleagues, relaying information back and forth between different people – crystal-clear and confident communication is paramount.
METICULOUS & METHODICAL: As you’ll be reviewing and instructing a variety of safety certificates for our properties, you’ll need to have a keen eye for detail, and understand what questions to ask in order to give clear and concise information to all parties. You’ll also need to take a measured approach to your busy workload, understanding how to manage and prioritise your time effectively both as an individual and as a contributor to the team dynamic.
APPLY IF YOU:
- Have relevant experience working in an office environment or administrative role. (Experience in the fields of property compliance & maintenance would be advantageous, but not essential).
- Value honesty and integrity – you tackle challenging situations and conversations with bravery, kindness and empathy, and you are committed to doing the right thing, even when no one is watching, never taking the easy way out.
- Are capable of working with a range of technology and have the ability to pick up systems and processes quickly, while maintaining exceptional attention-to-detail.
- Are confident and comfortable thinking on your feet, multitasking and prioritizing your workload – you can stay focused when faced with a challenge, and have the will and drive to keep pushing through in spite of any set-backs.
- Have a naturally warm, friendly and personable nature across all forms of communication.
- Are a self-starter with an enthusiasm for “getting stuck-in” and learning as you go. You thrive in a busy environment, you enjoy challenge, and you embrace change as an opportunity.
- Love company culture. At Umega it’s our service and our culture that sets us apart. We truly believe in all our staff, and we ensure they are well equipped, supported, trained and developed to succeed in the heart of our business.
WHO WE ARE
Umega is a forward-thinking, fast-growing, busy and exciting property business. We hold high standards and work in a way that means our clients love dealing with us. We provide a great workplace and you’ll love coming to work every day. You’ll be valued, trusted, empowered and given the space to make mistakes, learn and grow. At Umega we believe in bringing your whole self to work. We are committed to a culture of belonging where we accept each other for who we are and embrace your individuality. Even as we grow we continue to work together like one big family, and we’d love for you to be part of it!
WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU?
Be part of a vibrant, growing company of 50 great people, ranked in the top 100 small businesses to work for in the UK (Best Companies 2022)
- A beautiful office space in Quartermile (although we’ll expect you to work from home some of the time)
- 32 days Annual Leave (and more when you stay with us for 2 years or longer)
- Casual Dress
- Company Pension
- Enhanced Parental Leave
- Employee Discounts
- Flexible Mon-Fri Schedule
- Cycle to work scheme
- Private Healthcare (Vitality)
- Enhanced Sick Pay
- Free tea, coffee, soft drinks fruit and regular treats
- Great social life
- Volunteering opportunities
- Regular performance reviews and 121 meetings
Before you send us your application, take a look at our website and social media to find out more about working at Umega.
This is a full-time, permanent role.
Start date – As soon as you are available – we can be flexible and we’ll wait for the right person.
How to apply – Send your CV and a covering letter to [email protected] FAO Nikki Moore, letting us know exactly why you are the best person for this job and why we’d be mad not to hire you! Note, applications without covering letters will not be considered.
Salary: £22,000 – £25,000, depending on experience
– NO RECRUITMENT AGENCIES, PLEASE –