Please send a STAND OUT cover letter along with your CV, detailing what you can bring to the role, why the role and working at Umega appeals, and why we’d be mad not to hire you (applications without covering letters will not be considered).
We are looking for a hard-working, driven and meticulous individual to join our fantastic Finance Department here at Umega. This department is an integral part of our organisation, and a key contributor to providing exceptional service to all of our customers. It is dynamic and fast-paced, so alongside fantastic prioritisation skills, you’ll need to have exceptional attention-to-detail, be a very clear communicator and thrive on managing a busy and varied workload.
At Umega, we’ve got ambitious plans for our well-established and still growing business. We have a phenomenal team, an incredible culture and high standards, and we’re now looking for more talented and motivated people-focused-people to join our award-winning team. We’re not your average business. We do things differently; we work hard, but we have fun while we’re doing it. We’re bold and playful but we always act with integrity and acknowledge our mistakes. We’re ambitious and unafraid – we try new things, we innovate, and whatever the outcomes we’ll enjoy the learning journey and make the most of the ride. We also put people at the heart of all we do; that goes for our customers and our team. Being knowledgeable, empathetic, and super-responsive to the needs of our customers is the basis for everything we do across our Lettings, Estate Agency and Home Repairs teams. We build trust by acting with care and integrity, and honouring our commitments at every turn. If you can get behind our ethos of Homes not Housing, People not Property, and truly embody this in everything you do then you’re going to love it here.
The focus of our Finance Department is to direct the flow of money through Umega so that payments are received in a timely manner, customers and suppliers are paid on time and tenants deposits are accurately lodged and reconciled. Although the main focus of work relates to our lettings portfolio, this team also takes responsibility for finance administration across our Estate Agency and Home Repairs businesses, as well as some general banking reconciliation. As well as working closely with our wider team across various aspects of the business, there is also a customer-facing element to this work, where you’ll be problem solving and investigating accounts queries via email and telephone on a daily basis. This is an ideal role for someone who loves multi-tasking, enjoys variety and thrives when dealing with a busy workload. You should also be passionate about delivering outstanding service at every turn. We’re looking for someone who takes a meticulous and precise approach to all tasks – no stone can be left unturned when it comes to finance!
Although the responsibilities for the role will be varied and wide-ranging, we see that these fit into four key areas;
An amazing representative for all things Umega; A huge part of our culture at Umega is putting people at the heart of all we do. Everyone here plays a significant role in making sure that the company’s character is reflected in each interaction we have, whether this is with customers, contractors, or each other. We know that this takes enthusiasm, dedication and great skill, but we expect that a passion for people is something that each and every employee should hold dear, so you should embody this in your role and your time with Umega.
A power-house of knowledge; You should be ready to deal with any query or situation that comes your way, and that means being fully prepared with a loaded backpack of knowledge and understanding so you can spring into action and resolve any issue seamlessly, giving clarity and helping others understand what needs to happen, and why. You’ll be liaising and negotiating with a variety of people every day, so the stronger your knowledge and understanding, the better and faster the resolution will be. You’ll therefore need to be a fast-learner who is willing to dive in and learn as you go.
Communication skills for days; You will be communicating constantly with a wide variety of Umega customers, collaborators and colleagues every day. When relaying information back and forth between different people, via a variety of communication methods, crystal-clear and confident communication is paramount.
Meticulous and methodical approach; As you will be responsible for the timely flow of money, you’ll need to have a keen eye for detail, and understand what questions to ask in order to give clear and concise information to all parties. You’ll also need to take a measured approach to your busy workload, understanding how to manage and prioritise your time effectively both as an individual and as a contributor to the team dynamic.
Although this list is not exhaustive, you can expect your days to be filled with a variety of the following tasks and responsibilities:
- Expertly managing and overseeing the flow of rent and other payments through our accounting software (PayProp).
- Answering a wide variety of questions and enquiries via email and telephone in a timely and helpful manner. If you don’t know the answer right away, you’ll be ready to find out and report back, pronto!
- Support our Portfolio Managers with solid communication and advice regarding accounts and finance queries from both owners and tenants, relating to their properties.
- Responsible for managing rent arrears; following up on late rent payments, negotiating with and supporting tenants to establish a payment plan then ensuring this is maintained.
- Liaising with utility providers and Local Authorities to manage council tax and utilities during any void periods.
- Lodging tenant deposits via Safe Deposit Scotland in-line with legislation.
- Processing supplier invoices and payments
- Raising Sales invoices
- Carrying out bank reconciliations on Xero Accounting
- Ad hoc daily bookkeeping tasks for our subsidiaries
- Two or more years experience in an office environment/administration role – experience in a finance-related position would be advantageous as would be Xero accounting experience, but is not essential.
- To be confident and comfortable thinking on your feet, multitasking and prioritising your workload.
- A naturally warm, friendly and personable nature across all forms of communication.
- A self-starter approach with an enthusiasm for “getting stuck-in” and learning as you go.
- A strong commitment to your own learning and development.
- To take real pride in all aspects of your role – the big things and the little things all matter!
This is a permanent role and we are open to considering applications from people seeking either full-time or part-time work, with a minimum of 25 hours per week to be worked over 4 days. This is a hybrid role, so whilst you will spend some of your time working from home, you will be required to work in the office on a regular basis.
WHO WE ARE:
Umega is a forward-thinking, fast-growing, busy and exciting property business. We hold high standards and work in a way that means our clients love dealing with us. We provide a great workplace and you’ll love coming to work every day. You’ll be valued, trusted, empowered and given the space to make mistakes, learn and grow. At Umega we believe in bringing your whole self to work. We are committed to a culture of belonging where we accept each other for who we are and embrace your individuality. Even as we grow we continue to work together like one big family, and we’d love for you to be part of it!
WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU:
Be part of a vibrant, growing company of 50 great people, ranked in the top 100 small businesses to work for in the UK (Best Companies 2022)
- A beautiful office space in Quartermile (although we’ll expect you to work from home some of the time)
- 32 days Annual Leave (and more when you stay with us for 2 years or longer)
- Casual Dress
- Company Pension
- Enhanced Parental Leave
- Employee Discounts
- Flexible Mon-Fri Schedule
- Cycle to work scheme
- Private Healthcare (Vitality)
- Enhanced Sick Pay
- Free tea, coffee, soft drinks fruit and regular treats
- Great social life
- Volunteering opportunities
- Regular performance reviews and 121 meetings
Before you send us your application, take a look at our website and social media to find out more about working at Umega.
This is a permanent role and we are open to considering applications from people seeking either full-time or part-time work, with a minimum of 25 hours per week to be worked over 4 days.
Start date – As soon as you are available – we can be flexible and we’ll wait for the right person.
How to apply – Send your CV and a covering letter to [email protected] FAO Danielle Kerr, letting us know exactly why you are the best person for this job and why we’d be mad not to hire you! Note, applications without covering letters will not be considered.
Salary: £22,000 – £26,000, depending on experience
– NO RECRUITMENT AGENCIES, PLEASE –