Please send a STAND OUT cover letter with your application, letting us know what you can bring to Umega. Throughout our recruitment process we’d also love to hear your thoughts on how we can continue to smash negative stereotypes of letting agencies.
Are you the positive people person Umega Lettings needs?
We’re looking for a customer service champ who has an amazing ability to build rapport and loves meeting a variety of people on a daily basis. If you strive for outstanding performance at every turn and see challenge as a chance to shine, then there could be a role for you at Edinburgh’s most exciting letting agency! We’re not your average letting business. At Umega we do things differently.
This role sits within our Lettings Team – a fast-paced, busy, dynamic environment which has our customers at the heart of everything we do. Really, everything. There’s a consistently high turnover of flats, so we need someone who enjoys the pace, the variety, and the unknown. Thinking on your feet will be your bread and butter. We also work to a high bar with high standards, and we know our processes inside and out, but we do so in an approachable and friendly way which means our customers love working with us – and we love working with them.
The Letting Team is responsible for letting out Umega’s portfolio of properties and playing match maker between our properties and our new potential tenants. The team is split into two key roles, and we’re looking for someone who could join our team, learn the ropes, and develop into one of these two positions.
Our Letting Co-ordinators:
Your attention to detail is your forte. Your organisation is unrivalled. Your efficiency and hard-work ethic are, oh so natural. This position is full-time office based and works to prepare the legislation for our properties to ensure everything is compliant and streamlined. Here’s a screenshot of the role:
- Being confident to work off your own initiative is a no-brainer. Your portfolio is your responsibility – collecting references, creating leases, and providing constant and high-quality communication with our tenants. You’ll need to be self-motivated & self-driven. But don’t worry, you’ll also have the dream-team behind you supporting you every step of the way. Being a team player is a MUST in the Lettings Team.
- You’ll already be, or being interested in becoming, a legislation ninja – don’t worry, we’ll help you get there. Previous property experience isn’t a necessity, but we expect everyone in our Lettings Team to pass their ARLA Qualification in a reasonable timeframe
- Strong written communication is an absolute must. Most of your communication with our tenants will be via email and phone calls, therefore, you need to be able to wow over the phone, and your writing style must be clear, detailed, and approachable
- Building rapport will be second nature for you, you’ll be one of the first people our onboarding tenants meet at Umega– so you’ll be setting the bar for what we hope to be a long and prosperous relationship. We also want you to share in their enthusiasm as they secure their next dream home!
- You will work closely with our Relationship Managers during a Tenancy Swapover. You’ll need to be confident in your ability to negotiate, with patience, and an ability to understand differing viewpoints. Communication is key.
Our Letting Negotiators:
Your face-to-face customer service is second to none. You’re a confident solo worker who will spend half the week in the office completing the magic negotiating, and half the week out of the office conducting viewings for potential tenants. Take a whistle stop tour through the role:
- You’ll be solely responsible for a portfolio of flats whilst they are within the realm of the lettings team – advertising, monitoring enquires, and providing tip-top quality feedback to our Landlords
- You’ll need to be confident meeting a range of people at viewings, this includes the scope for the occasional post-5pm viewing – life isn’t always 9-5 and we try to be flexible to our customers’ needs
- Building rapport will be second nature for you, you’ll be the first-person prospective tenants meet at Umega Lettings – so you’ll be setting the bar for what we hope to be a long and prosperous relationship. We also want you to share in their enthusiasm as they secure their next dream home!
- Forget location, for us it’s all about Negotiation, Negotiation, Negotiation. You’ll often be the middleman between the wants and needs of our Tenants and our Landlords – it’s a fine line to tread – so you’ll need to be confident in your ability to negotiate, your patience, and your understanding of differing viewpoints. Communication is key.
- Being a confident solo worker is a no-brainer. Your portfolio is your responsibility – you’ll need to be self-motivated & self-driven. But don’t worry, you’ll also have the dream-team behind you supporting you every step of the way. Being a team player is a MUST in the Lettings Team.
We’ll let you in on a secret. A highlight of the Lettings Team: telling an applicant that they have been successful and knowing that this means more than just 4 walls and a roof over their head. It can mean independence, a couple moving in for the first time, or expanding their home as their family grows. Renting is a big part of people’s lives, and we acknowledge and understand the importance of that. We really enjoy getting to know our applicants and helping them with this next exciting step. Making the daunting seems more manageable. It’s (U)-mega rewarding.
We are looking for
- Relevant customer service experience (minimum 2 years)
- Confidence dealing with a variety of people on many levels
- Exceptional customer service skills – proven experience is essential
- A great team player, and a confident solo worker
- Ability to multi-task
- Attention to detail
- A pro-active approach to self-development
This role within the Lettings Team will play a pivotal role in continuing the amazing work we carry out at Umega Lettings and ensuring our current Landlords and tenants receive consistently high customer service. You will need to make sound decisions about the best course of action for the properties in your care. We work hard to provide the best service for everyone whether they currently rent with us or are taking the next step to find their perfect new home. One aspect of this role includes time each week sitting at our Welcome Desk, greeting (and wowing) new clients and helping to assist existing ones as smoothly as possible.
We run open-book management and ensure that everyone who works here receives a business education to support their career progression. We are a company that is progressing fast and have big, game-changing plans for the future. This is a great opportunity to play an important part in our journey.
Who we are
Umega Lettings is one of Edinburgh’s biggest and busiest letting agencies. We’re so proud to have been awarded Lettings Team of the Year for the past 2 years running at our industry’s Oscars; The Scottish Home Awards and we’re our industry’s leader in terms of our online reputation (we have a 4.7 star Google rating made up of over 500 Google reviews). This is a fantastic opportunity to be an important part of our awesome team that are turning the heat up on the lettings sector. We’re a company led by two friends who believe in a better way of doing business through integrity built on transparency, leadership grounded in humility and light-hearted honesty underpinned by bravery.
We work to a high-bar – constantly striving to understand and deliver a better service and experience for both our customers and employees.
We show what we’re really about – we’re open in the way we work and communicate, and we show our vulnerabilities. We do not work in fear or worry about what might happen when we give over our true selves in bucket loads.
We take the plunge – We want our team to be brave, play, experiment and ultimately find better ways of doing things. We can always do more.
Here are some of the little things we do to make Umega a great place to work:
- Staff property fund – we set aside 20% of our profits to invest in Edinburgh buy-to-let property. Our employees invest, manage and benefit financially from the ownership of these properties.
- Investors in People – We are Investors In People Silver accredited and put a strong emphasis on training and development.
- Our special culture – We’re a values-led business meaning our values are central to everything we do and every decision we take.
- Healthcare – Each of our team benefits from private healthcare and associated perks via Vitality
- Fresh Fruit – Edinburgh Community Food delivers a weekly crate of fruit to our office (you’d be amazed at how many bananas we get through)
- Breakfast on a Friday – breakfast rolls all round on a Friday morning. The variety of roll combinations……doubles, triples………anyone for a Bacon-Haggis-Egg-hash brown quadruple…… even tastier than it sounds!
- Monthly Meaningful breakfasts – to really connect with each other.
- Social events – we have loads of them as we understand that any happy family need to spend quality time together.
- Culture club – We have 4 biggies during the year, one for each of the seasons, and a number of other more impromptu nights out.
- Umegaversary – we make sure we celebrate everyone’s work anniversaries at our monthly company meetings!
- Birthdays off – At Umega we get an extra day’s holiday to take on their birthday so they can go wild celebrating or enjoy a well-deserved rest!
- Volunteering: Get two days off to give back to the community!
- …..and there’s loads more
Salary: £19,000 – £24,000 p.a. depending on experience
Start date: Ideally around March – we’re flexible
Apply by sending your CV and a covering letter letting us know exactly why you are the best person for this job to Emily: [email protected]